Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Couple of updates and a rant...

Got an email back from Harris County. I am required to take my typing test there. Phooey.

I will most likely have a part time job upon arriving in Houston. Go me.

My Grandpa passed away last Friday, and the services were today. No, I didn't go, grandparents are in Arizona, I'm in Montana.

And for the rant...

Why is it that people have become so flippin complacent and short sighted in their lives?

Case in point, and the reason I'm writing this:

Last night, I was sitting at my computer, working on homework. Get a message from a "friend". Let me note here that said "friend" has a thing for me, and is married. He thinks that because he chooses not to be monogamous, that I shouldn't be monogamous either.

Friend asks what I'm doing. I reply "Homework". I'm in the middle of a Wintersession class right now. 15 weeks of classes smooshed into 14 DAYS. Little hectic, to say the least.

He asks "Shouldn't you be in bed getting your beauty sleep?" I reply: "I'm working on homework, have to graduate so I can get out of here." He asks me "Why not just stay here and collect unemployment until you find something you want?"

That's what started it.

I told him essentially that the reasons we're moving to Houston is to be able to set up our financial future, and that we can do so by being disciplined. I pointed out that I want to be able to put my kids through college if they want to go, etc. He harped on me for "adding to the already over-populated planet" and that I'll never be able to afford cash for a house while also raising 2 kids.

Side note here, this is not the first time that we've had a dispute over financial matters. A few months ago, he lit into me, and said that my goals were unrealistic and stupid. I basically told him to drink drain cleaner.

I told him that I was tired of him spouting his rhetoric at me, and this was what I got in return:

"oh, spouting my rhetoric?? you're awful damn mouthy yourself for someone who's never spent considerable time in other parts of the country, let alone the world, and doesn't realize that outside your little dream bubble, the world isn't as shiny and sparkly as you'd like to think! hopefully one day you'll wake up and say "damn, maybe that guy had a point and he actually had an idea about what he was saying"."

Know what? My bubble is reality. People all over this country are busting butt and killing debt. Look at all the personal finance blogs out there. Look at all the people that listen to Dave Ramsey. It can and will be done.

Mind you, this rhetoric is coming from someone who:

"when i spent 16 months deployed for OIF, I made between 50-60 grand, tax free and I STILL had to take out a loan for 10k for a damn honeymoon--five years too late. and of that 50k+ that i made, I got myself out of debt, except for student loans and the loan for the trip and I've got about 3k left of it. the rest of that money went to paying montly bills, not getting out of debt, just bills"

INTERJECTION: He had 50-60k in cash, and still took out a loan for a honeymoon? Hello screwed up priorities, imo.

No offense intended to any veteran that reads this blog, but just because you've been overseas does NOT give you the right to treat anybody like dog feces.

I mentioned that I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy the arts and such in Houston. Houston is listed 2nd in the country for amount of theater seats per square mile... 1st place is New York City.

He claims that because I'll be in the thick of it, trips to the theater will become trivial. I fail to see how. It's not like theater companies put on the same, say, 6 shows EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR. I'm going to be there for at least 2 years, if not 6 years. That's a lot of theater to go see, and I doubt I'll see the same show twice in that time.

I want to be able to go see operas, and musicals, and plays again. I want to get caught up in the emotion that is evoked when enjoying the arts. I want to be able to walk through a museum and enjoy it. I want to be able to go to the Zoo whenever I want, or an aquarium, or heck, there's stuff OUTSIDE of Houston I want to see. The Alamo is a perfect example. There's some things in life that Missoula is truly lacking, and I'll be able to enjoy those things in Houston. I personally don't see a damn thing wrong with it.

I'm thinking at this point my best bet is to cease and desist any and all contact with him. With "friends" like him, I don't need any enemies.

Sorry for the rant, but I would end up continuing to fume if I didn't get it written down somewhere.

2 comments:

Louise said...

what a pig! he isn't a friend, he's a busybody. Attacking you for decisions you make keeps him occupied so he doesn't have to deal with his own problems.
Give him the flick he will just move on and find someone else to bother.
if he starts again, just say "i'm not dicussing this with you" if he keeps going just hang up the phone.
good luck with the all the final study. It is such a GOOD feeling when you finish:)

E.C. said...

It can get pretty annoying when people insist that going through life in debt is the only option in modern America. You know better, and don't let the naysayers discourage you.