Friday, October 26, 2007

Yarn addict

They say that the first stop on the road to recovery is admitting the problem. I'm Shelby, and I'm addicted to yarn. That's right, yarn.

Let me explain, hehe. I have decided that in order to save on Christmas present costs, I'm going to handmake a lot of my gifts this year. But what shall I make?

I've decided that most of the women are going to get hand knitted cell phone holders, of my own design, although I have an idea what I want to do, just need to check with my friend J and make sure my idea will work (she is the knitting QUEEN!). I'm going to knit some things for the men, although I need to find something suitable.

The best part about this? One of the types of yarn I LOVE to use is on sale at Joann Fabrics. Caron Simply Soft. I was able to get 2 skeins for $4! Normally it's anywhere from $2.99 to $3.99 a skein. However, I will admit where my addiction came in. I saw a scarf on a girl on campus, made of fleece. It had zipper pockets on the bottom 5 or so inches of it. So, I decided to modify it, and I'm making it so it has two pockets, one zipper pocket, and one pocket like a jacket for my hands. The scarf is in black and grey, and I'm double knitting it (knitting two strands of yarn together), so it's extra fluffy and soft. If I have any yarn left over, I'm going to make fingerless mitts to match the scarf, and maybe an ear warmer.

I'm going back tomorrow to get more yarn to do these Christmas gifts, after I look through the Knitty website and see if I can find something that will work for the men. Anybody else have any ideas?

3 comments:

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

knitting, wow sounds hard... I wonder if I can learn how to do it.

Send me a gift when your done!!

Shelby said...

Knitting is actually pretty easy, I'm almost completely self taught. Right now I'm trying to finish that scarf, but I have about another 6 feet to go (finished length is 5 feet, but making two six inch pockets on each end) on it. Also, I found an awesome idea for some of the men in my family, knitted golf club covers!! Going to be making 3 sets I believe. Also found a fantastic afghan pattern that I'm going to use for my mom, so just need to go buy the yarn for the afghan, which luckily for me is on sale 2 for 8, and it's normally over 5 dollars a skein. Not too bad in my opinion! Looks like all of my Christmas supplies are bought for the year, just need to get the projects done.

momma said...

I'll trade you some recipes for a scarf. *wiggles brows*

I have your addiction too! Have to drive buy my yarn haunts with blinders on. Tell Santa I've been good cause I need more yarn. mawhahahaha